Monday, May 26, 2008

Say What You Need To Say


I got the inspiration for my blog title from the song "Say" by John Mayer. I thought I would share the lyrics with you to get this thing going...


"Take all of your wasted honor
Every little past frustration
Take all of your so called problems
better put 'em in quotations

Say what you need to say

Walking like a one man army
Fighting with the shadows in your head
Living out the same old moment
Knowing you'd be better off instead
If you could only

Say What you need to say

Have no fear for giving in
Have no fear for giving over
You better know that in the end
It's better to say too much
Than never to say what you need to say again

Even if your hands are shaking
And your faith is broken
Even as the eyes are closing
Do it with a heart wide open

Say what you need to say"


...There is a lot of truth to be found in this song, and I feel like this blog gives me the opportunity to say the things on my mind/in my heart that need to be said. I have learned through my life's journey that harboring any thoughts or feelings on the inside is way more dangerous than the consequences of just laying it all out on the line. I would rather live my life content with myself & my wife & with God than living a life only trying to please everyone around me... If you can't say what you need to say, then those around you don't truly love you anyways, right? The last verse of this song is the most powerful to me...in your life's darkest moments, even if you are facing death, leave NOTHING unsaid. As most of you know, I lost my Dad in December, and when looking back on that life experience the words of this song ring true. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of my father. There are so many things I wish I could say to him and my heart breaks knowing I will never again in this life have the opportunity to say them. I have realized though over the past 6 months or so that these thoughts, although honest and truthful, are just a selfish side of my humanness. I know that what my dad is experiencing for eternity is far greater than him being around for my college graduation, family vacations, the birth of grandchildren, etc... But that one line, "say what you need to say", will always be at the forefront of the way I live my life, because that is the way my Dad tried to live his life and in the end I know it hurts far worse not saying what you need to say than saying too much in the first place.


So, hopefully this blog will be a healthy way of putting all of my so called problems into quotations so I can share a part of my life with all of you. Say what you need to say.

2 comments:

Velma said...

first - congrats on joining the blogging world =) Its fun here =)

Interesting, I have thought of your dad many times when I have heard this song. He was a man who said what needed to be said. He cared enough to not let things go. Its something to strive after ya know?

JMob said...

dat boy rogelio. he sure nuf did say what he needed to say. i wish i had half the amount of assertiveness he had.